Old 25-02-2010, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default walking boots-- which are good?

SMS wrote
Phil Cook wrote
SMS wrote
Phil Cook wrote

Suede is leather with the best bit thrown away. It is the inner
side of the skin with the outer taken off. Nubuck is the outer
that has been abraded to resemble suede.

Why would they bother to abrade full grain leather to create Nubuck? I suspect that Nubuck is from lower grade
leather which doesn't look good unless it's abraded. Or maybe it's to decrease the weight?

Fashion. Suede looks trendy but is as porous as a sponge, hence the need to add a membrane to boots and shoes made of
it if you want water resistance. Nubuck looks like suede but has some water resistance, not as good as full grain
leather though.

Then Nubuck boots should cost more, not less, than full grain leather boots.

Nope, not if they can start with cheaper leather.

This is not the case (at least in the U.S.) where the most expensive boots are full grain leather, with GoreTex
membrane, and a Vibram sole. Give up any of those three key features and the price comes down.

You cant easily separate that from just what the more expansive manufacturers choose to do tho.

It could even be as basic as whether its made in china etc.

I bought my 11 y.o. son a perfectly good pair of full grain leather boots at Wal-Mart for $30. No GoreTex, no Vibram,
but fine for his easy boy scout treks.

They're also fine for many adult's much more extensive use.

The next boots though will have to be better as the weight of the packs and the difficulty of the trips increases, and
they don't care about the weather. Boots are required for safety; they won't allow anyone the backpack trips without
boots that have ankle support and sufficient traction.

More fool them.