Old 25-02-2010, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ros Butt Ros Butt is offline

Default walking boots-- which are good?

Is this really a gardening topic???

Roger Chapman wrote:

snip

That depends on which language you speak. Here in the UK (and the OP
would appear to reside here) hiking is not a word in general use to
describe recreational walking. Hill walking is frequently referred to as
walking without the prefix and 'rambling' used to describe walking in
the countryside away from paved surfaces.

Two nations divided by a common language as GBS is alleged to have said.

Yeah, the whole "walking boots" was a little vague. In the U.S., you
wear "hiking boots" and generally only on hilly or mountainous trails
where there's a lot of scrambling, loose rock, water, etc.. I've never
heard the term "walking boots," and I assumed that he meant hiking. For
just walking on streets, gravel paths, or relatively level trails you'd
call them walking shoes or trail running shoes. For that type of use
you'd get shoes such as:

1. Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra GTX
2. The North Face Ultra 104 Gore-Tex XCR
3. Salomon XA Comp 4 GTX
4. Salomon XT Wings GTX
5. Vasque Blur SL GTX
6. The North Face Devils Thumb Gore-Tex XCR
7. PUMA Complete Vectana GTX

Again, if you're going to be using them in wet weather you want to be
certain that they have a waterproof breathable membrane, and actually
it's much more important for this type of footwear than for a full grain
leather boot. The sole is less important because traction isn't as much
of an issue where it will be used, and ankle support isn't necessary.

Maybe the original poster needs to spend a year in the U.S. to learn
proper English. One friend from the U.K. was in a Walgreen's here (a
drug store chain) and his wife who had just moved to the U.S. yelled
over to him, "hey Ray, do we have any rubbers in the house." On one
backpacking trip I was on, it was time to wash the dishes, the leader
asked one participant who had just moved from he U.K. to the U.S. if he
had brought along a scrubber to which he replied "I didn't know that it
was permitted."