Old 26-02-2010, 02:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dan L. Dan L. is offline

Default Raised Veg Beds Questions

In article ,
Ceeci wrote:

Hi All

I'm new to vegetable growing but are keen to get my children interested
so we have decided to install some raised beds in our garden. We will
have two beds and each bed will be 2.4m x 1.2m and are 30cm high. They
are on the way in transit as I'm writing this...

Now, my questions a

1) The beds will be placed on a lawn area. What do I do with the lawn?

Turn the lawn so the grass is faced down.

2) What do I fill the beds with? I was thinking of filling at least half
with good quality topsoiled (delivered to my door) and the rest with veg
compost, compost made myself in my garden and some manure. Not sure if
this is correct?

Sounds good to me. Should work as is. Some people add vermiculite to
their soil to help retain moisture (not cheap) for raised beds.

3) Any suggestions as to what to grow in each bed and what goes nicely
together? We are thinking of growing lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, patty
pan squash, cauliflower, spring onions, raddish, onions/garlic, dwarf
french beans, chard...

Patty Pan Summer Squash takes up allot of space specially the bush
varieties. Many winter vine squashes can be grown on a trellis to save
space. One bush variety squash plant can take up 1 square meter.

I suggest a salad garden concept for the beds: Lettuces, leaf Lettuces,
cherry tomatoes, radishes, celery, peppers, carrots and cucumbers.

In my opinion plant companions is an art. I tend to keep short plants
with short plants, like peppers and celery. Tall with tall, like
cucumbers next to tomatoes on trellises. Some say carrots and celery are
bad companions.

4) In terms of crop rotation I have little knowledge, but I assume
whatever we grow in a bed this year, should not be in the same bed the
next?

One could switch boxes from year to year for rotation.

We will also grow some carrots in a large container, as I know they
don't like many types of soil, and tomatoes and cucumber in
growbags...what about courgettes, where would they be best off?

I have never used grow bags, so I do not know much about them.

The courgettes, zucchini and squash: In my opinion, one plant is
enough. Those plants need room. They can smother smaller plants if
planted too close.

Enjoy Life... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.