Old 26-02-2010, 02:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wildbilly Wildbilly is offline

Default Raised Veg Beds Questions

In article ,
Ceeci wrote:

Hi All

I'm new to vegetable growing but are keen to get my children interested
so we have decided to install some raised beds in our garden. We will
have two beds and each bed will be 2.4m x 1.2m and are 30cm high. They
are on the way in transit as I'm writing this...

Be sure you garden with them, or it will be a lot of wasted money.

Now, my questions a

1) The beds will be placed on a lawn area. What do I do with the lawn?

Mow it or ignore it.

2) What do I fill the beds with? I was thinking of filling at least half
with good quality topsoiled (delivered to my door) and the rest with veg
compost, compost made myself in my garden and some manure. Not sure if
this is correct?

Whatever dirt you get, don't add more than 15% compost or manure.

3) Any suggestions as to what to grow in each bed and what goes nicely
together? We are thinking of growing lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, patty
pan squash, cauliflower, spring onions, raddish, onions/garlic, dwarf
french beans, chard...

Need to know where you are. How much sunshine do you get (full, partial,
number of hours).

4) In terms of crop rotation I have little knowledge, but I assume
whatever we grow in a bed this year, should not be in the same bed the
next?

http://www.yankeegardener.com/resource/croprotate.html

We will also grow some carrots in a large container, as I know they
don't like many types of soil

add sand to lighten the soil.
, and tomatoes and cucumber in
growbags...what about courgettes, where would they be best off?

with a lot of room (greater than 10 sq. ft.) and a lot of sunlight.

Thanks for any advice!

Might want to checkout the following books from the library:
"Vegetable Gardener' Bible" by Edward C. Smith.
http://www.amazon.com/Vegetable-Gard...Gardening/dp/1
580172121/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206815454&sr=1-1

"How to Grow More Vegetables" by John Jeavons
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/...=search-alias%
3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=How+to+Grow+More+Vegetables&x=0&y=0

Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web
Jeff Lowenfels and Wayne Lewis
http://www.amazon.com/Teaming-Microb.../dp/0881927775
/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206815176&sr= 1-1

Maybe you could do your little part in saving the planet, and garden
organically.

Each plant is its own little universe, and has its own needs and
abilities; learn about them.

And as Bill Who Putters said, don't worry about making mistakes, you
will.

Keep asking questions.

Kind Regards,
Cecilie