Old 27-02-2010, 07:51 AM
LindaMac LindaMac is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeci View Post
Hi All

I'm new to vegetable growing but are keen to get my children interested so we have decided to install some raised beds in our garden. We will have two beds and each bed will be 2.4m x 1.2m and are 30cm high. They are on the way in transit as I'm writing this...

Now, my questions a

1) The beds will be placed on a lawn area. What do I do with the lawn?

2) What do I fill the beds with? I was thinking of filling at least half with good quality topsoiled (delivered to my door) and the rest with veg compost, compost made myself in my garden and some manure. Not sure if this is correct?

3) Any suggestions as to what to grow in each bed and what goes nicely together? We are thinking of growing lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, patty pan squash, cauliflower, spring onions, raddish, onions/garlic, dwarf french beans, chard...

4) In terms of crop rotation I have little knowledge, but I assume whatever we grow in a bed this year, should not be in the same bed the next?

We will also grow some carrots in a large container, as I know they don't like many types of soil, and tomatoes and cucumber in growbags...what about courgettes, where would they be best off?

Thanks for any advice!

Kind Regards,
Cecilie
Hi
I bought some raised beds too from Harrod Horticulture and their guy there (Martin I think his name was) was very helpful and gave me great tips on soil types, planting, rotating etc depending on what veggies you want to grow...and some common pest problems...deffo worth dropping him an email...you can find his contact details on the Harrod Horticultural website.
Good Luck!