Old 27-02-2010, 10:40 AM
tazmainiandevil tazmainiandevil is offline
Registered User

You should prune now while the vine is dormant. The buds are plainly
visible as bumps along the cane. Try to leave 24 buds from last year's
wood to produce fruit.

Thank you for this. I have had a look and can recognise the bumps. But, how do I tell which wood is from last year?

Also, I am assuming from what you both say that you think I should prune my vine pretty hard. Is this right? It's about 10 foot long in places, and there are bits hanging out all over the place, so I wouldn't mind being ruthless just to get some shape into it. But, like, I said, I found it wrapped up in a bramble bush, so it's not had an easy few years so I don't want to be unnecessarily harsh.