Old 27-02-2010, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Have I Lost my Fuchsias?

On 27 Feb, 19:53, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Bookworm" *wrote ...

I have overwintered my Fuchsia collection in pots in my cold
greenhouse as I have always done. (kept them on the dry side). This
year there is no sign of them producing fresh growth as they usually
do about now. I have scraped and broken the stems and they don't seem
very green. Am I being a bit impatient or have I lost them?

Possibly, but they may come back from the roots. Been a nasty winter this
year with days below freezing and outside constant rain such that I worry
for our garlic which is not looking well at all. Don't think it likes
growing in a very cold paddy field.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

I'd say you're being impatient.
I remember years ago a mature F. Magellanice Alba being "killed off"
I cut it right back to ground level and no signs of any green.
Mid July it started shooting and ended the season almost 4ft tall.
Depending on the variety they can be tough brutes.
"In the old days" a lot of fuchias were over wintered in clamps like
potatoes.
David Hill