Old 28-02-2010, 03:17 AM posted to rec.gardens
The Henchman The Henchman is offline

Default Water softeners and indoor potted plants.

We have indoor potted plants and trees and will soon have an indoor herb
garden, once I get off my lasy ass and build some shelving and wire some
lights.

Our water is softened and also charcoal filtered. I have since discovered
that miracle gro might not be suitable for potted plants because of the
residue it leaves behind. Therefore I am looking for a natural organic
alternative to feed potted plants with water form a water softener.

Winter is 5 months long with snow on the ground for 4 of those months so
grass clippings is not a year round solution. We have no compost bin
because our town collect food waste but is there food waste I can divert to
the pots? Coffee grounds, tea grounds, veggie scrapping from the plates?
Remember these are indoor pots so smells count, and our water source is
softened water.

Any ideas?