Old 28-02-2010, 05:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dan L. Dan L. is offline

Default Grow A Little Extra This Year If You Can! Help A Neighbor :)

In article ,
brooklyn1 wrote:

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 09:13:33 -0600, wrote:

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 09:39:14 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

"brooklyn1" wrote
(EVP MAN) wrote:

time of need. I plan to put a folding table near the curb on my front
lawn and fill it with fresh veggies each day. I'll also have some saved
grocery bags on the table and a sign that says FREE ......PLEASE TAKE
WHAT YOU NEED BUT REMEMBER OTHERS MAY BE IN NEED TOO!

You already figured out that there are greedy *******s.

I found a much better system for sharing with neighbors is to trade
produce with those who also have gardens... everyone grows a different
mix of crops so the barter system works well, and it needn't be
anything formal... whenever I have extras I leave a bagful at my
neighbor's doors and they in turn do likewise.

Same here. Oh, I havent the spread you do, but I still grow enough excess
in my containers that I bring some over to neighbors. Last year it was a
bumper crop of tomatoes and heritage bell peppers that I mostly had too
much
of.

Another option is to donate to your local food bank.

Food banks don't usually want fresh produce, they have no refrigerated
storage facilities. Occasionally I have a glut of lettuce that's too
much to pawn off on neighbors because they do likewise, so rather than
place it in the composter I bring it to a local golf course restaurant
where I know the cooks... they serve it as salads and in turn invite
me to many of their events. Many of the local folks who garden gift
the local golf course because many of their family members are
employed there... college students need seasonal jobs. And golf
courses are always looking to employ seniors to drive mowing
tractors... I'm asked everytime they see me. Peronally I don't think
anyone in the US should be out of a job, there are plenty of jobs that
go begging because folks are too ascared to change occupations and/or
get their hands soiled or sweat. Getting laid off should be seen as a
gift to encourage a career change, usually for the better, instead of
a lame alibi to collect unemployment insurance, and for years...
shoulld be embarrassed to admit it, especially so publicly.

Also, check out the local garden associations. Many of them have or know
where there are local community gardens. Free food for the taking, just
help them pull a weed or two.

Enjoy Life... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.