Old 28-02-2010, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Climbing Rose Causing Cracks?

"Jo" wrote
We have recently moved house and in the past couple of months have
experienced a large amount of cracking in the property. We feel that this
is largely due to the heavy snowfall/wet weather etc and the surounding
soil being very much clay-based.
However, a largish crack at the front of the house has worried us and a
structural surveyor has suggested that this is due to a climbing rose tree
which is planted outside the front of the house. We are dubious as we
weren't aware that such plants were deep rooted.
Is this likely to be the case? We do not know an awful lot (if anything)
about roses so any info would be helpful.

Having been dealing with a property with subsidence this last year I feel
for your plight. I cannot believe the rose has anything to do with your
problem. Have you got another large tree in the area or has someone removed
a large tree lately causing land heave?

If it's subsidence the cracks usually get wider the higher up the building
you go and the first thing to look at is the drains. In the case we have
been involved with we employed our own very well qualified Surveyor to do a
report on the cracking which we then sent to the insurance Co who then sent
round their own Surveyor/Structural Engineer. The first thing that then
happened was CCTV of all drains which found a completely blocked soakaway
and damage to and leaking of the main drains to the sewer, the Water Co
sewer was also slightly leaking. Once these problems were cured then the
house was stapled/bonded back together (they don't monitor the problem for a
year or underpin any more).

Tell your Insurance Co you suspect subsidence and get them involved asap.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden