Old 28-02-2010, 04:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
The Henchman The Henchman is offline

Default Water softeners and indoor potted plants.

"Phisherman" wrote in message

Don't use softened water. Is your cold water supply softened too?
Rainwater or melted snow is ideal. (Fresh water) aquarium water is
another excellent water source for plants.

I used softened water once in the past two months we have lived here. We
recently upgraded our softener and decided to put the kitchen cold on the
softener as well because of the filtering system we installed. Other than
that it's been bottled spring water from the grocery store.

Is there any type of organic fertilizer to mix with the softened water or is
that an idea best to be forgotten?

Coffee grounds, veg table scraps, leaves, etc go to the compost pile,
not into potted plants (why encourage knats, roaches, mold, mice?). A
good compost pile won't have a disagreeable odor, but it still needs
to be outdoors. Our city collects kitchen waste too, but mine goes to
the compost pile rather than the city dump.

Yeah I thought diverting scraps into indoor pots was a dumb idea.