Old 24-02-2003, 11:46 PM
Heinrich Köhne

Default [IBC] Priorities in bonsai design

I have good idea how they look, those lollipop branches that will take at
least two seasons of heavy feeding especially with Trelmix(Trace element
solution) and pinching back of growth to be anything worth working with. I
have to agree with Colin Lewis as he stated in his latest book that J. gold
coast is not worth the effort.And Walter Pall remarked that we lack any
junipers that are worthwhile in this country, and he continue to say with
our wealth in indigenous material we do not need to trouble ourselves with
junipers.Though at the convention Salvatore Liporace did some magic with a
feeble juniper.
For the purpose of practice, yes by all means use them but don't put your
heart on it that they would be bonsai of any substance IMHO.Then do follow
the advice you have already received and to quote Brent Walston." I don't
grow trees I grow TRUNKS !" Meaning bonsai pots are out until you have
material that is of substance.
Feel free to contact me when ever you might be passing Bloem.
Heinrich Köhne
Bloemfontein
RSA
ZONE 9

Maybe I should be more specific.

I obtaines some juniper gold coast trees with trunks that I think would
look good as they are. The branches and foliage need working on. Do I

first
see to the branches and foliage before putting in a bonsai pot or can I

pot
it up now?

Thanks

s sulaiman