Old 01-03-2010, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

Default Climbing Rose Causing Cracks?

On 28 Feb, 11:52, Charlie Pridham wrote:
Roses are deep rooted but the idea they can cause structural damage is a
bit far fetched and sounds like surveyor speak for covering my back, much
like the well used but completely useless " The roof will eventually need
replacing"
Sounds like you have some real problems, try and avoid advice from any
surveyors linked to your insurers and possibly get a second opinion from
a reputable builder as well.
See if any of the proffesionals can give an idea how old the cracking is
as you may well have a claim against the original surveyor or even the
vendors if they knew about the problem.
--

Charlie's right, I certainly wouldn't expect a climbing rose -even the
seriously vigorous ones like Kiftsgate cause that kind of problem. You