Old 19-04-2003, 09:32 AM
steve stidham

Default Pruning new growth

I am trying to salvage a strong hearted rambler that I brought home because
it had overgrown it's allotted apace. When it was previously planted it
looked like a dead stick and I gave it little chance of survival. It proved
me wrong and took off in all directions to the point where it became
unwelcome. I pruned it to the ground in December and moved it in March. Now
this thing has more than 30 shoots coming from all it's basals. Obviously
way too many but if I cut most off to get a manageable number will they just
re-grow? Is there any helpful technique like tearing them like water spouts
in fruit trees? I have no idea what the rose is, it has light pink flowers
with no fragrance numbering into the dozens. One interesting thing I found
when I dug it up was that it had one large root 3" in diameter that went
straight down for a foot and a half, made a right angle turn and continued
for 6-8" and died. It was hard as lumber. It also has a number of surface
roots that curl down like a skull cap that only extend 6-8". I question if
the root system could support the kind of cane growth it has if left alone
to say nothing about what I would have to build to support it.
Any help on saving this hearty devil would be appreciated.