Old 19-04-2003, 10:20 AM
Oz

Default Education: UK

James Curts writes

I also am of the 60's era and without calculus pursued a very rewarding
engineering career.

In what area, and which degree did you take?

Today I see students quite intent on the study of
calculus. Most seem to be first and second year university students working
toward mechanical and electrical/electronics fields.

To what end are they working? Do you mean calculus is not necessary or that
it has been surpassed by another form of mathematics?

Eh?

You have quite missed my point.

Elementary calculus is necessary and hasn't been conveniently surpassed
by another form of mathematics. It is, after all, 300 year old
mathematics. It's not rocket science.

Because elementary calculus is no longer a requirement for A level
science, those areas that need it have been removed and replaced by
descriptive rote learning modules (largely devoid of understanding).

I'm not at all surprised that first year university science students
would have to start learning calculus, but on the whole it would have
been much better had they started learning it at school.

At the elementary level it's not after all very difficult.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.