Old 19-04-2003, 10:20 AM
Oz

Default Education: UK

Jim Webster writes

I think the point that Oz is driving at is that in the UK students were
introduced to Calculus at the age of 14 as part of O level.

I'm not sure that was ever true. It would typically have been taught to
the better math and science pupils at about aged 14, but usually as what
we would now call an AS level, called something like "Additional maths".

Hmm, but that was classed an "O" level, I admit.

You couldn't get
into university to do maths or physics without a knowledge of calculus.

Actually you couldn't do "A" level without some basic knowledge,
although this could be (and was) taught as part of the science subject.

At the old O level my wife did 8 o levels and get two As... This was
considered exceptional

Indeed so.

Under the comparatively new GCSE which replaced O level they have had such
bad grade inflation that they have had to institute the grade A+ because it
is common for students to get all A grades

The really good ones will get 10+ A* (spit).

Actually there is a subtle reversal of grade inflation.

The actual module marks are now given, and taken into account by
universities, particularly those with heavily oversubscribed courses. So
the general angst about pupils with four A's not getting in is a bit of
a red herring. Some courses (in both arts and sciences) may have two or
three times the applicants for the number of places ALL with four A's.

Clearly lots with 'good enough grades' must fail to get in.
The selection (if done rationally) must take into account the actual
marks achieved as well as making allowances for the calibre of school
the applicant comes from. This year, with many independents *not* taking
some or any "AS" levels, it was inevitable that there would be some
confusion.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.