Old 03-03-2010, 05:49 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
monique monique is offline

Default ID of Florida wildflower (Fabaceae?)

Check the genus Polygala of the Polygalaceae. The flowers do look a bit
like bean flowers but are constructed differently. Compare your sample
to this photo of Polygala grandiflora.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_cressler/3800292830/

M. Reed
Texas A&M

David Hamilton Cox wrote:
Location: Southeast Florida (USA), south of Fort Myers;
Winkler Point, Estero Bay Preserve State Park

Habitat: narrow stretch of relatively dry, sandy soil between
freshwater marshes

Date photos taken: Jan. 25, 2010; follow-ups on Feb. 18, 2010

Photos: www.nyx.net/~dhcox/fab1.jpg and fab2.jpg and fab3.jpg

I am guessing that this is in the Fabaceae but it is just a guess. The
flower was very small, about 1/3 of an inch across. The leaves were
alternate, entire, narrow, up to one and 1/3 inch long, with a pronounced
midrib beneath. I went back to take the second two photos, I am pretty
sure I found the same species if not the same individual. I would be
very grateful for any help on identification of this species.

Thanks!

-David Cox