Old 03-03-2010, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default walking boots-- which are good?

bobharvey wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I usually do too, but rarely wear boots, just when I am digging, which isnt often.

I need to wear Wellies to go into my garden at the moment. I wish I had waders.

When we moved here the "orchard" bit beyond the bank was under water
from November to June most years. I created raised banks to plant the
apple trees into. For 15 years the back's been squidgy, but not
immersed. This year is like travelling back in time.

We're still in a 10 year drought. And even when not in one, I dont ever
get standing water in the garden except when I have watered too much.

I dont even bother with boots when digging up the evening's new potatoes either.

I can only plant things that have snorkels.

Sooner you than me.

I've only just got back into growing vegys after 50 years, mainly
just because its more convenient to get them out of the back
yard than to run around town for them roughy weekly etc.

I dont bother with lawns at all and just let the backyard turn
into a jungle, tho it didnt grow that much due to the drought.

When I watered the area where the vegys were to go, just small
patch, so I could actually turn the dirt over with a fork, the weed
thought that all their xmases had come at once and they ended
up well over 6' high very quickly. Some have turned into small
trees, bigger than the neighbours brick shed, 10' high at least.

Last time I said that in one of the gardening groups
everyone decided that I must be growing marihuana |-)