Old 04-03-2010, 02:26 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by john hamilton View Post
I know someone with some ground to spare which at moment they find difficult
to maintain. So some fast growing ground cover which requires little
attention would be good to keep the weeds at bay.

Recently I saw a fast growing squash with big leaves that covered the ground
quickly. I was told it was a japanese squash called Kabocha.

Looking up kabocha on wikpedia i see there are 8 varieties. Would anyone
know which one would be the easiest type to grow in the London area and also
which is also a good tasting one. Thanks for any advice.
Squash are frost-tender annuals. You plant them out in the garden in June, or perhaps late May, and then their leaves probably go funny by about the end of October. So with only 4 months growth they won't be much use as a weed suppressant. Also they need lots of rich compost in the ground to grow well, and lots of water. My experience of growing squash is that, er, you have to weed around them.

If you do want to grow squash, best choose a variety selected for British conditions. realseeds.co.uk is very good for varieties selected for British conditions. Other kinds of squash can produce lots of leaves too.