Old 04-03-2010, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking
SMS SMS is offline

Default walking boots-- which are good?

hbol wrote:

snip

I have been following this thread wondering if anyone was ever going
to mention the Merrel brand. I have had a pair of Merrel boots
(hybrids) for about a year now and absolutely love them - and I might
mention that my leather Scarpa GTX have been collecting dust since I
got my Merrels. They are so comfortable, like wearing a pair of cozy
socks. I am more of a hill and glen walker than a mountaineer so I
can't attest to the latter. I didn't think that they, Merrels, would
be suitable for walking in snow and cold weather but I was wrong. They
are tough, have a great Vibram sole, Goretex lining, light as a
feather, and I have not found a leak in them so far. They are warm in
cold weather and cool in hot weather. If they only last a year, big
deal, I will go buy another pair. I got this pair for around £80 but I
see that they are now up to £100 - give or take.

Merrell (not Merrel) has very good products. I've got some of their
nordic ski boot as well as some of their shoes.

As you found, with a Goretex lining and a Vibram sole, they'll be
waterproof and provide good traction. You probably wouldn't want to wear
these mountaineering, but for most hikes on good trails they're great,
and a lot lighter than full leather boots.