Old 04-03-2010, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Growmore, I don't want to get this wrong

"Marq" wrote
Thanks for reading.

Just bought some Growmore and it says on the box to "fork in well" to
prepare a veg plot.

I admit I'm not the sharpest, but does that mean the full depth of a fork
or just a couple of inches?

I dug loads of places in my new house last autumn to grow veg, and now I
can't wait to do the sowing etc.

It means just allowing it to mix in the top layer of soil, where the roots
will be when the plants are growing.
I only use it once the plants are growing and usually just hoe it in or with
onions, which are shallow rooted, I don't bother.

Don't be too hasty in planting stuff, check the seed packets for dates and
better still ask here as it is dependant on where in the UK you are as to
when you plant.
IME late planting often catch up anyway, parsnips are a good example, and
early plantings can get destroyed by frost, or simply not germinate.

If you read a magazine, The Kitchen Garden, Gardeners World... and they say
"plant now" check the month of the magazine, they are often published up to
two months in advance.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden