Old 05-03-2010, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Marq Marq is offline

Default Growmore, I don't want to get this wrong

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"Marq" wrote
Thanks for reading.

Just bought some Growmore and it says on the box to "fork in well" to
prepare a veg plot.

I admit I'm not the sharpest, but does that mean the full depth of a
fork or just a couple of inches?

I dug loads of places in my new house last autumn to grow veg, and
now I can't wait to do the sowing etc.

It means just allowing it to mix in the top layer of soil, where the
roots will be when the plants are growing.
I only use it once the plants are growing and usually just hoe it in
or with onions, which are shallow rooted, I don't bother.

Don't be too hasty in planting stuff, check the seed packets for dates
and better still ask here as it is dependant on where in the UK you
are as to when you plant.
IME late planting often catch up anyway, parsnips are a good example,
and early plantings can get destroyed by frost, or simply not
germinate.

If you read a magazine, The Kitchen Garden, Gardeners World... and
they say "plant now" check the month of the magazine, they are often
published up to two months in advance.

Thankyou,Bob and Anthony

I know what you mean about not being too hasty when planting, that put me
off growing veg at my first attempt a few years ago, but I am older and
wiser(?) and more patient now.

I think I get the gist, so for my carrots, parsnips, brassicas etc. just
the top 2" and spuds maybe 4-6"?

Can I go onto bonemeal subject?
My Dad always sprinkled it in the "V" to sow carrots, and we never went
short of them.
On the box I have it says "only to be used where there is a recognised
need"
Can I use this as much as I want or will it restrict or kill?
Should I get a Ph kit (though the results may be too scientific for me)
I really want to make a success of this but maybe I am reading TOO much
about it?

Thanks for your patience
Marq