Old 05-03-2010, 11:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
biig biig is offline

Default Potato experiment.

"phorbin" wrote in message
In article , says...

Is there any
reason to buy "seed potatoes"? I would have had a decent crop fot what I
had planted, had I not listened to a friend and dug them before the tops
dried off.....Sharon in SW Ontario Canada

London ON here.

Well....

Table potatoes may be chemically treated or irradiated to inhibit
sprouting.

I'd suggest googling the subject.

If you're in London ON, seed potatoes are available right now from the
TSC stores.

-- I bought ours yesterday even before they put them out on the floor.

--I'm told they sell out very fast so move quickly.

Not in London, but near a TSC store elsewhere. Last year I used potatoes
that were in my pantry and had started to sprout already. They would have
produced a decent crop if I hadn't dug them up too soon. A friend said I
could dig them before the tops turned brown....wrong.... I got some nice
sized ones, but many little ones. I a lso planted them a month too late in
the season. thanks for the reply....Sharon