Old 05-03-2010, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Growmore, I don't want to get this wrong

"Marq" wrote ((Snip))

I know what you mean about not being too hasty when planting, that put me
off growing veg at my first attempt a few years ago, but I am older and
wiser(?) and more patient now.

I think I get the gist, so for my carrots, parsnips, brassicas etc. just
the top 2" and spuds maybe 4-6"?

You will be banking the spuds so not worth forking it in.

Can I go onto bonemeal subject?
My Dad always sprinkled it in the "V" to sow carrots, and we never went
short of them.
On the box I have it says "only to be used where there is a recognised
need"
Can I use this as much as I want or will it restrict or kill?
Should I get a Ph kit (though the results may be too scientific for me)
I really want to make a success of this but maybe I am reading TOO much
about it?

A Ph kit or Probe is very useful, and whilst most veg are not too fussy, you
may find, as I did, that your Ph is way below neutral such that we can
actually grow Blueberries in the ground. So we use about 40Kg of Lime per
year on our Brassica bed which follow the spuds and loads of manure in our 4
year rotation.

Bonemeal, I've never used except when planting trees/shrubs.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden