Old 05-03-2010, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fast covering ground cover with Squash (Kabocha)

In article ,
countymayo.j wrote:
On Mar 3, 9:18=A0pm, "john hamilton" wrote:
I know someone with some ground to spare which at moment they find diffic=

ult
to maintain. =A0So some fast growing ground cover which requires little
attention would be good to keep the weeds at bay.

Recently I saw a fast growing squash with big leaves that covered the gro=

und
quickly. =A0I was told it was a japanese squash called Kabocha.

Looking up kabocha on wikpedia i see there are 8 varieties. =A0Would anyo=

ne
know which one would be the easiest type to grow in the London area and a=

lso
which is also a good tasting one. =A0 Thanks for any advice.

Nick from Cambridge sent me some seeds of a fast growing ground
covering squash, I'll bet he will know which type you mean.

Basically, any of the Cucurbita maxima (hubbard) varieties that are
happy in the UK. Send me a postal address by Email, and I can send
some. The ones I have are Queensland Blue, which is VERY vigorous,
and a New Zealand one. They may have hybridised :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.