Old 06-03-2010, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Terry Fields Terry Fields is offline

Default Gardener's World Friday 5th March 2010

Roo wrote:

You know, I've got to agree with Terry's initial comments.

There seemed to be more excitement and enthusiasm for the new series
starting from the pre-programme announcer.

LOL

It's been a long, hard winter (some would say it's not over yet...),
but, as Terry says, there was no 'teasers' to not just the season, but
even that programme.

Indeed, it was almost as if it was a mid-season programme, with no
forethought in informing us what was coming up, and why.

That was my thinking. They did say that it had been a long winter, and
mentioned the 46 frosts they'd had. Since weather is so important to a
garden, more could have been made of this - it isn't as if they didn't
have any warning, after all. But we got shown one plant that had
suffered, and Carol's appropriate snowdrop piece.

Round here the fields (and gardens) are practically waterlogged, and a
few days of sun and wind have made little impact on that. It must be
the same over much of the country, but this just wasn't taken up by
the programme.

I think they should all start off by wishing us a happy new gardening
year, and giving us something to look forward to over the next 30
minutes, nay 30 episodes.

Oh, exactly my point. It just launched straight off, and we still have
no idea what's coming....but perhaps on looking back, they've done
that in order to keep the schedule 'flexible', while monitoring the
feedback. No hostages to fortune, perhaps.

Oh, and it could've done with more music at times, which certainly
helps to raise the gardening spirit !

Just so long as it isn't the "...what a wonderful world..." variety!

TF