Old 06-03-2010, 04:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Garden Tractor fuel gauge

willshak wrote:
You know, the kind that has a solid plastic float that operates a flat
screw type axle to turn a needle in the cap showing the amount of fuel
left.
These plastic floats seem to allow gas to permeate the float, giving a
less than correct fuel level.
I suppose I can buy a new cap/gauge/float assembly for this particular
tank, but that would only solve the problem for a while until that float
gets heavier.
I wonder if I can paint some sort of material on the float to make it
more resistant to permeation of the gas?
I know the material has to be non-soluble in gasoline.
Ideas??

Hi,
Try to jury rig a metal ball(float).
Maybe out of an old carburetor or auto parts store may have something
like that for that reason. Some carbs used to have that problem.