Old 06-03-2010, 07:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
Joe[_10_] Joe[_10_] is offline

Default Garden Tractor fuel gauge

On Mar 6, 9:24*am, willshak wrote:
You know, the kind that has a solid plastic float that operates a flat
screw type axle to turn a needle in the cap showing the amount of fuel left.
These plastic floats seem to allow gas to permeate the float, giving a
less than correct fuel level.
I suppose I can buy a new cap/gauge/float assembly for this particular
tank, but that would only solve the problem for a while until that float
gets heavier.
I wonder if I can paint some sort of *material on the float to make it
more resistant to permeation of the gas?
I know the material has to be non-soluble in gasoline.
Ideas??

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Get a brass float from an old carburetor at your local wrecking yard.
hey almost never leaked, and if they did were easily soldered shut
again.

Joe