Old 06-03-2010, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Marq Marq is offline

Default Growmore, I don't want to get this wrong

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"Marq" wrote
Am I right in thinking that Ph will differ year to year depending on
how I treat the soil with organic matter I add?

That is correct and don't forget the acid rain.

Another one he
On one of my plots where I am going to sow peas and a few brassicas,
it was
at the edge of a lawn and I turned the grass upsideside down last
autumn.

Should I remove the sods or just get a nice tilth on the upper 2-4"
and hope for the best.(brassicas will be plants peas will be seed)

I know all brassicas like firm ground but personally I've always
properly dug where brassicas and peas are to be planted, the brassicas
will probably need some lime added to the soil anyway to bring the pH
slightly above 7 (neutral). Peas are not that fussy with the pH IME.
I would remove the sods and stack them for more rotting and dig your
plot properly, adding some good well rotted farmyard manure (no straw
showing) if you can get hold of some.
You may have a few ground pest problems the first year if the plot was
recently grass but it will go away after that.

Thanks Bob.

I have planned my veg garden and did not even think about storing the sods,
much to my ignorance.
Would it be so bad of me to get rid of the sods into my "brown" bin or as
you suggest store them, I think I can find a corner if I HAD to.

With limited space it is getting a bit awkward.

I planned my veg plots in an "ideal world" and it is becomming less ideal
as I learn!. but I did not know that when it was on the drawing board!

When my daughter is old enough to eat solids she will have the best.

Best wishes
Marq