Old 06-03-2010, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Gardener's World Friday 5th March 2010

* *If, as you posted earlier, *you have been gardening since Geoff
Hamilton's time then you surely know there is no
*general purpose seed-planting routine. It is always specific, depending
on the type of plant, the size of seed, the time of year

Only since Geoff Hamiltons time?
No wonder you are still learning, now in My day with Gardening club
with Percy Thrower Taught you so much more, like keeping your foot on
the turf as you used a hollow tine fork to stop the turf comming up
stuck to the fork, that if you had a greenhouse on the roof of
broadcasting house then it didn't need glass and much more, but in
those days programmes were broadcast live and mistakes had to be
covered.
They didn't have the advantage that TV cooks Like Philip Harben had of
going to the oven for the "One I prepared Earlier" (Yes it was Philip
Harben and not Blue Peter that originated that phrase).
But my gardening education started much earlier with Adam the
Gardener who was in the News of the World.
I would toddle off to our Land lady out on Llyne peninsular in Sarn
Bach where she would sit me on her knee and read Adam the Gardener to
me every Sunday, from just after the end of the war.
Ahhhhhhhhh!
Those were the days.

David Hill