Old 06-03-2010, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default marestail

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Derek Turner
writes
On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 01:03:31 -0600, seeker wrote:

Any cures for marestail weed ?

AIUI marestail (Hippuris vulgaris) is aquatic. Do you mean horsetail
(Equisetum)?

He does mean horsetail (Equisetum). However, marestail is used for at
least three plants (the 3rd is Canadian fleabane), and the use for
Equisetum is widespread.

Yes, but totally incorrectly. (Just as glasswort is widely called
'samphire', ramsons are called 'wild garlic', and pelargoniums are
called 'geraniums'.)

Even in ye olden dayes when I was a lad, people thought glasswort was
called samphire. Fortunately, I was correted (1953) by someone who
showed me what samphire really looked like. (Yum! If anything, it's
better thn glasswort, which I adore too...)

--
Rusty