Old 06-03-2010, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Suzanne D.[_2_] Suzanne D.[_2_] is offline

Default front lawn gardening

"Ohioguy" wrote in message
So, in order to "break" the neighbors in to the idea of front lawn
gardening, I was wondering what tried and true methods some of the rest of
you have used?

I haven't done this yet due to costs, but eventually I'd like to get some
good permanent landscaping done in my front yard, with attractive edible
bushes, fruit trees, herbs, and small plots for pretty seasonal vegetables.
Corn and pumpkins scream "GARDEN," but certain types of peppers, brassicas,
artichokes, and legumes can be very beautiful, and may even fool people into
believing they are useless. Herbs are nice to tuck into empty spaces just
like pansies or alyssum, and they are usually just as pretty. For flowers,
try edible kinds such as chamomile, nasturtium, evening primrose, saffron
crocus, violets, or amaranth. Grow vining beans, peas, kiwis, or grapes
over an arbor. Plant a circle of small fruit trees in the middle of the
yard, and put some benches under them. In areas where you want some "lawn"
or other green groundcover, plant lemongrass, onions, or spreading herbs
like oregano, mint, or thyme--then you can walk on it and also go out and
cut some ever time you seed to season something in the kitchen!

I am really looking forward to seeing other replies to this, because I love
the idea of edible landscaping and am always looking for new ideas.
--S.