Old 07-03-2010, 06:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
DirtBag DirtBag is offline

Default Soil amendments

David E. Ross said

Toss some good garden soil on top of the pile and rinse it into the
pile. This will provide some of the soil micro organisms that
promote composting. Also add some high nitrogen fertilizer since
composting leaves requires nitrogen. Make sure the pile remains
moist.

I added blood meal last fall. I had quite a hot pile till this miserable
winter took over. Spring is almost here!

DO NOT add to your raised bed. The composting leaves will deplete
nutrients from the soil until they are fully composted.

Like yours, my compost pile is also almost entirely leaves,
especially oak and ash. When I have my back lawn mowed (ornamental
red fescue, mowed only once a year) I add some of the clippings to
the pile. It took about 18 months to start from scratch. It works
well now, taking about 4-5 months to produce a great leaf mold from
autumn leaves. When I sift the pile, I always leave some fine
compost to ensure that the new leaves in the pile are "inoculated"
with the necessary organisms.

My present compost pile is on top of my garden, I planned to turn it in
to the soil. I think I'll set up a dedicated compost pile and continue
this process. So, I am I to understand your mature pile processes all
you leaves in 4-5 months? This would be ideal.