Old 07-03-2010, 07:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default Greenhouses

On 7 Mar 2010 18:58:13 GMT, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:

I'm thinking about getting a greenhouse this year to extend my season (I
live in Massachusetts). Last fall someone on this group suggested I try a
popup greenhouse because they are very cheap (under $150, some as low as
$50), rather then make any kind of major investment. Does any one have
any experience with them? There also seems to be a class of greenhouses
that are a step up, around $600-$700. The cheap ones are basically
plastic tents, the mid priced ones are aluminum and polycarbonate. I'd
like your opinions on both types. In my heart of hearts I've always
wanted a proper glass Victorian greenhouse, but that's real money so I
want to see if a greenhouse is helpful to me before I make that kind of
investment.

I bought a 12.5' x 8' greenhouse from Costco about 5 years ago. I
love it, but even here in NC you can't do much to extend the season
with heat at night. http://tinyurl.com/yfkudkx It was somewhat
cheaper when I bought it. It was on sale and we were up at midnight
to get online and order it. The price includes shipping.

The interior gets down to whatever the outside temps are at night. As
soon as the sun comes up it starts getting hot. With the door closed
and a nice bright day it will be 105° inside. We ran water and
electric when we poured the slab. This one comes with lights, fans,
shelves and other stuff. I have discovered that it is cheaper to
germinate seeds in the house and then move them out to greenhouse than
to try to keep the GH warm enough at night for germination.

As I mentioned in another thread, I am getting a late start this year.
Besides we had snow the beginning of this week. Tomorrow it is
supposed 61°.

Think carefully and specifically what you hope to accomplish with a
greenhouse and how much you would like to have in it. About April one
of my 8' shelves is packed with trays in various stages before setting
out. If I got very ambitious I could clear the shelf on the other
side. The cost of heat can be a real bear. I did not heat the
greenhouse this winter and it was so cold that our electric bill was
double what it was last year. I will be putting some trays out there
in a few more days so I will have room to start some more things.

Ask more questions as you think more about what you want.

--
USA
North Carolina Foothills