Old 07-03-2010, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default front lawn gardening

AndyS wrote:
On Mar 6, 3:12 pm, Ohioguy wrote:

So, in order to "break" the neighbors in to the idea of front lawn
gardening, I was wondering what tried and true methods some of the
rest of you have used?

I'm especially looking for productive vegetables that either have
striking foliage or flowers.

Thanks!

Andy comments:

I give the produce different names when a neighbor asks.....

For instance, summer squash is a "Scandinavian Sunset Plant". Just
remember to pick the squash off before anyone sees it. The flowers
are
beautiful...

Okra is called "Japanese Orchids". Again, remember to pick the okra
early in the morning, every day...

Cucumber vines are "French Climbing Ivy".

I haven't come up with a good disguise for watermellons yet, tho.

This technique works best for vegetables that need to be picked
regularly, and whose fruits are not observable from the street....

An exception is Swiss Chard, which is "Romanian Fern"...... It makes
a good border plant.......

Parsley makes an excellent border plant too.

Good luck, and if you come up with something for watermellons,
please publish it .....

:)))) Andy in Eureka, Texas

Evil. Pure evil. I love it.

David