Old 08-03-2010, 02:46 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post
My own view is that it's green so that
will do nicely.
A lot of the moss in my lawn is yellow-green which isn't so nice. I'll be putting the moss-killer on again this spring, after a few years of not bothering.

People talk about moss it growing in damp place, but if so why does it grow on my south-facing, gently sloping (ie well-drained), drive? My experience is that moss will move in anywhere the grass isn't, so actually some of the places it grows are relatively dry places, because anywhere is damp enough for moss most of the year in England. Which is why it grows on gravestones, etc.

The trick to keeping moss down in a lawn is encouraging the grass to grow. That means using the spiking thingy, and may mean applying lawn feeds, much as I hate doing that.

I don't mind a mix of green plants on my lawn of various families, but I take an exception to a domination by any single non-grass plant. I'm none too fond of rosette-forming weeds, either, as they kill off other stuff. As a result of the drought of 2003, which killed a lot of grass and other plants, yarrow started to dominate parts of my lawn, and that wasn't nice. It wouldn't be killed by lawn weedkiller, so I substantially eradicated it by hand. If it's only a bit, it isn't a problem.