Old 08-03-2010, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ivy

In article ,
says...
In message , Ben Short
writes
I saw an old country house on TV called Eggleston Hall that had ivy
growing up it and I would like it on my house.

I would like on that's fast growing and one that changes colours with
the seasons (red in Autumn) can someone please point me in the right
direction.

If it changes colours with the seasons then it's not ivy (Hedera helix).
You may be thinking of Boston ivy (Parthenocissus tricuspidaria) or
Virginia creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia).

Someone else no doubt will common as to whether growing it on a house
wall is a good idea.

Boston ivy (Parthenocissus tricuspidata is much the better bet on walls,
Virginia creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia). tends to get too heavy
and fall off.
Both attach by adesive suckers rather than roots so are unlikely to cause
damage to walls, but as someone else has pointed out once they get to
your roof problems can start so you need to give them an annual trim 3 or
4 feet below the gutter height each winter.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk