Old 08-03-2010, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default walking boots-- which are good?

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 09:14:48 +0000, Geoff Berrow
wrote:

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 23:46:02 -0500, Michael Black wrote:

Gore-Tex won't protect your boots. It may help to keep your feet dry, but
that depends on how well your sweat can dissipate through whatever outlets
it can. Your feet won't get wet from outside water, but only if the seams
are all well done and the Gore-Tex well protected (ie another layer to
make you sweat) and as pointed out, so long as the water doesn't come in
over the top.

Came back after a walk yesterday and my friend was surprised my feet
were not steaming as his were when we took our boots off.
(co-incidentally, we have exactly the same Gore tex lined boots).

I explained that my feet didn't sweat much and were, in fact,
perfectly dry.

This might go some way to explaining why some people love Goretex
lined boots and others hate them. Nothing to do with what is better,
it's what suits the individual best.

That's one element of possible preference. Another is, as somebody
mentioned, marketing hype.
I don't understand what good the Gore-Tex did your friend's steaming
feet. Seems the Gore-Tex didn't 'wick away" the sweat.
And as somebody mentioned if the Gore-Tex is surrounded by wet
leather, what's the point?
Though I'm not an "extreme" hiker, and not much of hiker at all
compared to some here, I have spent many days on my feet working
outdoors in all sorts of weather, and done many +10 mile hikes..
Any sweating of my feet is readily handled by wearing the correct
socks. If it's a downpour, I seek shelter. Then I hike around
puddles, not through them.
When my work was outside, as it was for years, a light poncho kept me
dry in the rain, save the lower legs, and I wore "pac" boots, which
are waterproof, and have thick felt liners, whenever I had to work in
slush and snow..
Personally, I prefer to wax leather footwear that will see much wet
weather, including morning dew.
My sweat will dampen my socks less than water intrusion.
But waxing naturally means shoes/boots must be aired more often/longer
to keep stink away. It's really nice to have 2 pair of footwear you
like, and rotate.
I've found some shoes get stinky almost no matter what you do to avoid
it, and you just toss them, and don't buy the same again.
Might be a particular synthetic, or the way the leather is treated, or
even the cow it came from.
Or maybe my chemistry doesn't agree with them.
Anyway, I never felt the need for Gore-Tex at all.
But people have their preferences, depending on their experience.
I'm not at all for spending money on hype.
Frankly, I've seen some brand name hype here without much detailed
experience backing it up. And also, no doubt, some who know what
they're talking about. The problem for the OP is separating it.
Could be more costly than necessary in going chic.
BTW, I'm reading the frugal group (-:

--Vic