Old 08-03-2010, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking
Gordon[_4_] Gordon[_4_] is offline

Default walking boots-- which are good?

"PeterC" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 13:47:55 -0000, Gordon wrote:

"PeterC" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 08:21:06 -0000, Gordon wrote:

Coupled
with that is the fact that my preferred material is HALF the price of
Gore-Tex and works as well if not better.

Which material is that, please?

It's a Pertex 6 outer shell with a "hydrophilic PU fully taped laminate"
liner. That's all it says.
It's actually a Rab Downpour Mountain Guide jacket which I've had now for
15
years....it cost half the price of an equivalently-featured Gore-Tex
jacket
back in the early 90's...it's got two horizontal hip pockets with gusset
and
poppered flaps, two zipped chest pockets, a hidden zipped map pocket, a
hood
with volume adjustment large enough to cover a helmet and a velcro and
poppered front fastening over a double zip and reinforced patches on
elbows
and shoulders..

Sounds bombproof! I've an old jacket that's shower-resistant and that's PU
inside nylon, so doesn't transpire too well.

Well it's done me good service and is still in pretty good nick. RAB
replaced the velcro on the front free of charge last year (it has a
life-time guarantee) and I wash it with Nickwax TX direct once or twice a
year depending on how much it's been used to re-proof the Pertex.