Old 08-03-2010, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking
Christopher Loffredo Christopher Loffredo is offline

Default walking boots-- which are good?

SMS wrote:

If you're hiking or walking in wet conditions you want to be certain to
never buy shoes or boots that lack a breathable membrane. GoreTex is
one. In order of breathability, the ratings a

eVent
Gore-Tex XCR
Gore-Tex (standard)
HydroSeal (The North Face)
Membrain (Marmot)
Sympatex, Conduit (Mountain Hardwear)
OmniTech (Columbia).

Not to kick a dead dog, but I just got back from 10 days trekking around
the Scottish Western Isles (Arran, Islay & Jura): Lots of deep snow,
bogs and rain (fortunately and unusually, relatively little of the latter).

My non-Goretex (or any other membrane) boots kept dry (or at worst very
slightly humid, dry again after a freezing night in tent apse), warm
(almost always) and comfortable. Happy feet! :-)

Instead, my beloved 3-layer eVent jacket had a leak under where the
rucksack shoulder straps sit (not condensation or sweat): So much for
waterproof membranes being eternal or even long-lasting... :-(