Old 09-03-2010, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mark mark is offline

Default Pruning plum trees.

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
I want to prune a couple of plum trees which have got a bit tangled.
I have read that the best time to do this is June because of the risk of
silver leaf infection.

However I'm keen to do it now. Is there something I could paint on the
cuts/wounds to compensate for non-ideal time of year?

Realistically you take a view on how many other plum (and similar) trees
there are near you which may already have silverleaf and how great is the
risk of infection.
You can buy wound sealer or just paint on emulsion to help protect the
wound.
Whatever, you should really only prune when the tree is growing strongly
and can heal itself easily.
What is the problem with waiting a few months?
Read a book, sow some seeds, go for a walk.
Breathe deeply and relax.

Step away from the tree. Nothing for you here.

;-)

Okay. I'm going with this advice thank you.

mark