Old 09-03-2010, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Suzanne D.[_2_] Suzanne D.[_2_] is offline

Default Tomato support ideas?

This year I plan to have over 250 tomato plants. I have made lots of raised
beds, 3X6 feet. Last year I put groups of two plants every 2 feet (12 to a
bed) so that two plants could share a single cage and a single drip emitter.
This year I think I will stagger them in a zig-zag every foot, to get more
in each bed, two rows to a bed, watered down the middle of each row with one
of those 1/4" tubes with holes punched every 6 inches.

Does anyone have any creative and not-too-difficult idea for how to support
these plants? Would some structure down the center of the bed work, or
should I put something on the outsides of the beds, or use individual cages
spaced every few feet and let the tomatoes just find them? I obviously
don't want to purchase 250 cages, but I also don't want these plants
trailing all over the ground. (Last year my tomatoes got up to about ten
feet.)

Any interesting suggestions will be appreciated.
--S.