Old 09-03-2010, 07:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gary Woods Gary Woods is offline

Default Tomato support ideas?

"Suzanne D." wrote:

Does anyone have any creative and not-too-difficult idea for how to support
these plants? Would some structure down the center of the bed work, or
should I put something on the outsides of the beds

The folks at the Seed Saver's exchange headquarters in Decorah Iowa do
this:
6-foot (I think) Metal T-posts are driven in a row every 8 or 10 feet,
with mesh fencing attached. Tomato plants are on either side of this every
few feet, and trellised to the fencing. I tried a simplified version last
year- wood slats and baling twine- and it worked pretty well.