Old 09-03-2010, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking
Christopher Loffredo Christopher Loffredo is offline

Default walking boots-- which are good?

Rod Speed wrote:
Geoff Berrow wrote
Michael Black wrote

Gore-Tex won't protect your boots. It may help to keep your feet
dry, but that depends on how well your sweat can dissipate through
whatever outlets it can. Your feet won't get wet from outside
water, but only if the seams are all well done and the Gore-Tex well
protected (ie another layer to make you sweat) and as pointed out,
so long as the water doesn't come in over the top.

Came back after a walk yesterday and my friend was surprised
my feet were not steaming as his were when we took our boots off.
(co-incidentally, we have exactly the same Gore tex lined boots).

I explained that my feet didn't sweat much and were, in fact, perfectly dry.

This might go some way to explaining why some people love Goretex
lined boots and others hate them. Nothing to do with what is better,
it's what suits the individual best.

The problem with that line is that no military bothers with goretex lined boots.

There has to be a reason for that.

Probably a lot has to do with use:
If I were going out for a few hours / one day in very wet conditions, a
Gore-tex (or similar) lining would be a great advantage (and has been
for me - assuming it's intact).

Since my "normal" use involves several days/weeks afield, my priority is
a boot which dries as quickly as possible, even if it gets a bit damp at
the end of a day.

Again, use and conditions need to be considered, rather than blindly and
dogmatically proclaiming that one particular solution is the only way....