Old 09-03-2010, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking
Christopher Loffredo Christopher Loffredo is offline

Default walking boots-- which are good?

Rod Speed wrote:

Even that is very arguable when most of the problem
with water and boots is the water coming in over the
top and no goretex makes any difference to that.

The military doesnt get around in wellies either.

I'll generally agree to that. My wettest situations (with my
non-Gore-tex or non-laminate boots) are when I wait too long to put my
gaiters on...

Still, I think that membrane boots have their place (being a bit of a
Devil's advocate here) and I might eventually pick up another pair for
short & extremely wet situations. For my normal use, membrane boots make
sense as a third pair (normal heavy, normal light, then membrane).