Old 09-03-2010, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default walking boots-- which are good?

Christopher Loffredo wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Even that is very arguable when most of the problem
with water and boots is the water coming in over the
top and no goretex makes any difference to that.

The military doesnt get around in wellies either.

I'll generally agree to that. My wettest situations (with my non-Gore-tex or non-laminate boots) are when I wait too
long to put my gaiters on...

Still, I think that membrane boots have their place

Dunno, I cant get past the fact that the military doesnt bother with it.

There has to be a reason for that.

(being a bit of a Devil's advocate here) and I might eventually pick up another pair for short & extremely wet
situations.

I just dont bother with sodden situations myself.

But then I dont 'live' on that soggy little island so I have a lot more choice on that.

For my normal use, membrane boots make sense as a third pair (normal heavy, normal light, then membrane).

I dont bother with lots of different types of boots.

In fact I wear what I use for walking all the time in winter and
wear what we call thongs and you lot call flip flops in summer.

I do wear the boots for walking in summer.