Old 10-03-2010, 09:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default Late blight resistant tomatoes

In article
,
" wrote:

On Mar 10, 2:08*pm, Ian Gay wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 7, 5:33*pm, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:
Are there any varieties of tomatoes that are late blight resistant
besides Legend? I've been hunting around the net and there seems to
be some promises of new varieties this year but I haven't found a
source for anything except Legend. I'm going to order a pack of
Legend seeds but I'd like to have a few more options.

I hear legend isn't all that great for resistance to blight, new
strains evolve, lots of chemicals is the only solution to blight I
have found, it really sucks!

The main thing is to keep the leaves dry. Don't expose plants to rain,
and don't water by sprinkling from above. (And of course, don't add
blighted plants to your compost heap). I've never had blight in my
greenhouse, lots of it on unprotected plants outside.

Ian

--
*********** To reply by e-mail, make w single in address **************

I don't have a practical way to protect the plants from the rain
(greenhouse or very large tarp I guess),
it seems blight was a problem once every 5 years, now it's every year.
I use to have 8 foot plants, now,
barely 4 in a good year

I also believe it is an airborne problem as I relocated the garden
with no benefits.

Still, I have a friend across town who has no problems and doesn't do
anything, his bottom
leaves are totally green (no disease whatsoever) up until the first
day of frost! Ah, I remember those days....

Worth a look /try.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7949-jto-99197-f1.aspx

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
http://www.globalissues.org/article/75/world-military-spending