Old 10-03-2010, 11:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dan L. Dan L. is offline

Default Groundcovers can replace lawnsŠ and mowing

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
" wrote:

Is there a groundcover that doesn¹t need mowing, is kid-friendly but
uninhabited by critters and insects? That¹s a tall order as this
reader finds outŠ

QUESTION: ³We recently moved and purchased 5 acres but we only plan on
a small garden for now. I really don't want to spend time mowing right
now. Is there a short ground cover which the kids could play in?

²I am reading things about snakes, chiggers and ticks. I want my kids
to be safe, yet I would like to keep the mowing to a minimum. Any
suggestions?² * Linda

ANSWER: Most groundcovers will attract those unwanted elements,

like predatory merchants.

Astroturf is an excellent ground cover that does not need mowing, does
not attract insects, kid friendly and very expensive for five acres.

To keep mowing to a minimum, don't fertilize or water and its low cost.
However, may not be kid friendly barefoot wise. Dry grass can be like
needles.

I suggest a commercial lawn mower, something over the $8,000 dollar
range with the rear bagger (Good Compost). I mow 7 acres myself and went
through two cheap mowers ($2,000 range) in three years. Save yourself
TIME and MONEY get the commercial mower. Mine is going on 10 years and
still running great, with one extra set of tires and spindles. I buy one
new set of blades every two years and swap the old ones till worn out.
Learn to sharpen the blades yourself. I take mine in each year for the
oil changes and tuning up.

If you do put down natural ground covers and want to keep mowing to a
minimum, get a goat. Chickens can also keep the chiggers and ticks away.
Extra note, chickens and goats can be mean! Not always kid friendly

Enjoy Life... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.