Old 10-03-2010, 11:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Late blight resistant tomatoes

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
Are there any varieties of tomatoes that are late blight resistant
besides Legend? I've been hunting around the net and there seems to be
some promises of new varieties this year but I haven't found a source for
anything except Legend. I'm going to order a pack of Legend seeds but I'd
like to have a few more options.

I grew Legend last year and was not impressed -- although the weather
was so bad for tomatoes and peppers it might not have been a fair
test. The few fruit that I got tasted good, but the plants were
eat-up with blight just like any other tomato, and the yield was not
all that good. However I also grew some Porter tomatoes and those
plants were big and healthy (they have no particular resistances, but
were bred to tolerate poor weather.) So I'll probably plant the
Porters again this year, and maybe a few Better Boys. Go back to what
works.

Giving the plants lots of nitrogen early in the season so they grow
big and lush seems to help. Then stop with the N once they start
blooming.

Or you can just plant tomatillos instead of tomatoes. ;-)

Bob