Old 11-03-2010, 12:51 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens

Default Identify ground cover

I have a volunteer ground cover that I cannot identify. I also do not have
a functional camera in order to post a picture. Given the size of the
features I would need a pretty good macro lens to show them.

It has a very low spreading habit rising no more than about 2cm (1inch).
The stem is up to 10cm (4in) long but that is arbitrary as it roots
constantly as it spreads. The stem is soft, about 1mm (1/20th in) thick and
pale green. The leaves are in adjacent pairs. Each is 7-10mm (1/4 - 3/8in)
and oval in shape about 1/2 to 1/3 as wide as it is long. The leaf is matt
finish mid green and some have a dark reddish patch in the centre. It
branches at some nodes and produces reddish flower buds about 2mm (1/10 in)
in diameter. Most of the flowers are not open (it is autumn here) and the
petals are only visible through a magnifying glass, they are pink. It has
no smell. The habit is vaguely like thyme laid very flat instead of clumps
but the stems are leaves are soft and juicy where thyme is tougher.

It is growing well in an enriched clay soil garden that is watered when it
doesn't rain. The climate is warm temperate.

Any advice is welcome, even a guess so that I can start looking for images.

David